Tuesday 23 September 2014

Hello Heat



After a summer of disappointingly cool weather, HEAT!

Like a virgin waiting for the Prom, mother nature has been holding out on us!

The wonderfully ironic part is that the kids are all in school.  Unable to enjoy the warmth of the sun beating down on their sweaty heads as they run through the splash pad.  

Instead they're cooped up in classrooms choking on chalk dust and peering out the windows wishing for recess.

And me?

Somewhat unsympathetic.

WHY?

Because I can enjoy meandering the streets of downtown Hamilton without the listening to my 5-year-old's high pitched whines or my 10-year-old's pleas to head to the park for some mind numbing soccer drills, or my 15-year-old's begging to play basketball or "hang out" with his friends. OR, God forbid, my 17-year-old asking if she can pleeeeeaaaase drive.

Instead I can sit on the front porch in my fabulously red - in your face chairs with my book and my sweating glass of wine.  Or I can fold down the back seat of my van, throw in my bike and go to the beach for some quiet, quiet, quiet riding along the coastal trail.  I can whip out my writing pad and record the thoughts that I actually have to ability to LISTEN to and harness rather than trying to grasp at them as they fleetingly scramble from my brain to make room for something, anything that the world might be trying to shove into it.

Lunch?

Outside of course on any patio that dares to remain open.  I am not above going to Tim Horton's if it means I can lunch OUTSIDE, in the sun, in the heat.

The bestest part? 

My cell phone may or may not come with me; may or may not be heard ringing.  It may or may not make it off the dresser at home or in the cup holder of my van.

The only thing that could possibly make it better would be if my partner wasn't also stuck in a classroom, creating that chalk dust and the endless loops of homework from which our kids learn, but the world is an imperfect place...

Me and my thoughts and the sun which should have accompanied my every summer day but which I am grateful has finally showed up on these first few days of Fall....


No comments:

Post a Comment