Sunday 21 June 2015

Happy Father's Day

This Father's Day I salute Marty Umanetz and every other man who has stepped forward to raise children who are not biologically their own.

Because you generously share yourself, I have watched my kids learn to believe they are worthy of a father's attention and love.

I have watched you fit soccer shoes on anxious feet, kiss away tears, speak reasonably, then loudly, then not really speak at all...I think it's called yelling?

I have watched the thrill on my son's face as he used a chainsaw; watched the kids paddle through calm waters; hike through deer riddled woods; fly down tobagganing hills which I am still not convinced were particularly safe...we'll have to talk about that!

You have taught them to fish, to paint; play guitar. To hope; set goals; work hard; be accountable; be responsible; take pride in their work; laugh; and love even when it means letting go.

I have watched you apologize; accept; regret; reconcile; and fall in love.

Every day my appreciation and respect for you grows as does my love and theirs.

Many men are father's because they have children, you have chosen to be a father when you didn't have to and for that I will always love and respect you.

Happy Father's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment