Sunday 25 July 2021



STOKED

My feet have strayed 
from hallowed ground
the flames are closing
all around

I need you Lord
yes I believe
that I have sinned
I was deceived

I wanted something
not of you
as often we
mere mortals do

I run around
I scream and shout
But find there is just
no way out

I seek Your face
and You appear
to whisper sweetly
in my ear

Hold My hand child
though you strayed
I’m with you now
I am the way

In the fire
You are here
You walk so close
You draw me near

You tug my hand
say Walk on child
neither flame
nor heat is wild

You’re in control
of what it burns
eternal life is
Your concern

You are the refuge
from the heat
in this furnace
where we meet

You are the refuge
from the flame
there is no need
to search in vain

You are the one
Who’ll see me through
if I just keep
my eyes on You

I will not fail
to persevere
draw closer Lord
and I’ll not fear

You are the refuge
that I seek
Because my heart and 
flesh are weak

In these flames
I start to sweat
my story
isn’t over yet

My God, My Lord
He overcame
so build a fire
stoke the flame
fasten the chains 
of sin and shame

The Glory?
It is His, you’ll see
Because His love
has set me free
Again.


- Vera Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment