Wednesday 3 December 2014

Black Friday...Still?

I get the Black Friday hype...I get that people want to make as many Christmas purchases as possible as cheaply as possible.

In a country with minimum wages which run from $5.15 an hour in Arkansas to $9.50 an hour in DC*, lining up for 6 or even 12 hours to potentially save hundreds of dollars on electronic items is well worth sacrificing sleep for.

There have been many years that I have considered crossing the border to experience the energy and excitement.  Imagine hundreds of people in a frenzied dash for a limited number of items that they can't afford and or don't need.

The desperation alone of trying to make their dollar stretch as far as they imagine the child/ren's smiles when they unwrap that coveted item from under the tree is both attractive and repelling. I have never managed to convince myself that I wanted any single or combination of items enough to witness such sheer desire for stuff.

In the last few years, Black Friday has managed to creep its way across the border. I forgive Canadian retailers for jumping on the bandwagon in an effort to exploit the US holiday and boost their sales.

I have a problem though...it's Wednesday and I am still hearing Black Friday ads on the radio!

Black Friday savings are supposed to be rock bottom unsustainable prices that are so big and so deep that they only come once a year...for one day, sometimes two...three max.

After that, it's just your everyday run of the mill weekly flyer sale.

After that, they're telling me that I'm a victim of their marketing scam.

I don't like being victimized. Any retailer I hear still running Black Friday (radio or print ads) will go on my boycott list and have to sustain itself without my measly dollars.

Take that!


*http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment