Tuesday 26 July 2016

Into the Light




When I saw these rocks, a question came to mind. One I had to answer for myself and one which, maybe you too would like to contemplate.

What holds you up?

As solid and heavy as these stones are, they are also stacked one atop another. Some are the foundations on which others are able to stand tall above the water. No matter how solid the rock or the foundation, still some lean.

Perhaps they were not originally placed this way.  Perhaps over time the wind, the water, have caused shifts, created crevices which needed to be compensated for. Perhaps some have even met the bough (or stern) of a boat lost in the darkness.

Regardless of the why, the question remains.

What or who provides me with a solid foundation. What or who keeps me from falling.

Like the water, my answer has shifted through time. Like the rocks, in the darkness, I can't always see what lays beneath, or what I have used to prop myself up or leaned myself into for stability.

It is not until the day breaks that I am able to look around and recognize the changes which took place int he darkness... the shoulders I am standing on... the hands that fed me... the arms that encircled me... the things and the people that saw me through.

As I look at the stones I know that like in my life, there is even more unseen going on beneath the surface of the water.

More propping, more leaning, more foundation to be unearthed and be grateful for. It's something which I continue to contemplate in hopes of discovering the truth about myself and my relationships. Recognizing my who's and what's is enlightening but also heartbreaking. It's a question which, when answered honestly, has the power to change you.

What holds you up?

No comments:

Post a Comment