Thursday 25 September 2014

Grade 6

The school year is well underway.  Routines have been set, expectations laid out.

Having moved to Hamilton last summer, this is my second year dealing with this elementary school and, since I homeschooled my older two until they entered Grades 7 and 9, it's pretty much the only experience I have dealing with an Elementary school.

I have a few complaints!

Why are they asking my kids to sell chocolate?  They don't allow cupcakes in the classroom for birthdays or other special events, the pizza that they serve once a week has been specially modified to meet the government's idea of a "healthy" option (where are the vegetables?) and even snacks brought in at the holidays are "strongly encouraged" to be sugar free.

SO, why are they asking my kids to sell chocolate?

According to the Principal, a few years back they took chocolate selling off the fundraising menu and found that they were unable to meet their goals.  "Chocolate sells." she stated when I asked.  "I have some personal problems with it myself, but it sells."

Hmmmm.... so I should teach my kids that it's ok to do anything for money.  That they should put it above principle, logic and personal goals.  "Chocolate sells..." That makes it ok.

I said a few complaints right?

Why are we raising money for the Terry Fox Foundation by encouraging students to throw wet sponges at their teacher's faces?  Better yet, why are the teacher's allowing this?  Again the Principal babbles about "personal difficulties" and then goes on to say that the teachers were "happy to volunteer" for this event.

If she has so many problems with the fundraisers being pursued at the school, why are they running?  Who is in charge and how do I get to them?

"Join our school council," she encourages. "Then you can have a say in what happens here."  I interpret this to mean put your money where your mouth is, or better yet, put up or shut up.

Will I join?  Let's wait and see what kind of minds I will have to win over in order to reform the joint.

Last Complaint?

Grade 6 means EQAO's which I have an intense mistrust of and distaste for. How does this benefit my kid? How does it benefit the school when they have to factor his "0" into their score?  So, again (poor Principal) I speak with the school's highest authority.  She said she wasn't really sure what the school Board's position is on EQAO anarchy but she sees two possibilities 1) She may be able to have him in the office or 2) If he is on school property he HAS to take the test which, according to her means I would have to remove him from school grounds during the testing.

So I asked, "What if I tell him to sit quietly through the test but not to pick up his pencil?" her eyes got noticeable bigger.  I don't think she was counting on me encouraging my kid to disobey any direct orders from the teacher or Principal...

Did I mention in my profile that I'm a reformed home schooler?  Maybe I'm not as reformed as I think...?

Grade 1 is great as are grades 10 and 12.  It's just grade 6 that I seem to be having a problem with.


No comments:

Post a Comment